Sunday, July 6, 2014

Herbs and Spices - Unlocking the Mystery

What are the items you should always have on hand? Garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, fresh onion, dried herbs and spices. Throughout my journey of cooking healthy with my kids, I have discovered the wonderful world of herbs and spices. Used properly, herbs and spices are a GREAT way to add flavor without adding fat. Today's discussion will highlight each of my best friends.

Are you afraid? Don't be! Have questions? Ask me! I will help you unleash the flavor in that corner cupboard of your kitchen. (You no longer have to pretend they don't exist ;-)

Dried Herbs - Meet Your New Best Friends



Parsley // Cilantro // Oregano // Basil // Dill // Chives // Jalapenos // Red Onion
These 8 bottles are small and mighty and they are ALWAYS invited to my party (dill and chives are by far my favorite!). I choose to use freeze-dried herbs because they are convenient and easy to store. They can be reconstituted if needed. But I just add them directly into my dishes for a flavor-POP. A little tip, depending on the brand, most will have a short description on the label describing the best way to use each specific herb.

Spices - the "Must Haves"

Turmeric // Cumin // Cayenne // Curry // Paprika
  • Turmeric - this spice is great for adding natural 'yellow' coloring to food. It has a sweet - spicy aroma. Mostly, I use it for any Mexican-style dish.
  • The 3 "C"s - cumin, curry and cayenne. I always use these 3 spices together. They are very versatile. They are used in nearly all of my recipes. But, be careful with the cayenne if you have kiddos against spicy food!!
  • Paprika - this is also a sweet and spicy. Most commonly, it is probably used to sprinkle the tops of deviled eggs. I use it in most everything as well. Yes, all Mexican-style dishes, but also in flavoring water to cook pasta, shrimp and vegetable. (Among other herbs and spices as well!)
Want to learn more? Send me a message and watch for upcoming recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment