Sunday, June 29, 2014

Get Inspired by Healthy Cooking!!

Planning a Healthy Menu for the Week

It's 9:00 on Sunday morning. The dogs are sleeping. The kids are eating their breakfast while watching their "news", aka Nick Junior. My daughter started calling it her "news" at the tender age of two. Her dad has to turn on his Fox News every morning to catch up on the happenings. So, she followed suit and now has to watch her "news" every morning during breakfast. It's funny how much kids mimic their parents' actions, yes? All the more reason to take advantage of their "sponge-like" minds and instill a healthy eating lifestyle while they are young!

While I sit here planning this week's healthy menu and enjoying my hazelnut coffee (health tip - use unsweetened almond milk instead of creamer to drastically cut calories), I am getting inspired by watching my "news", aka Food Network. Damaris is currently making fresh fruit parfait with homemade granola and it looks like heaven. I wonder how I can make it healthier? Hmmm...challenge accepted :-)

On the Menu for the Week

Sunday - mini pizzas with strawberry yogurt crunch for dessert.
Monday - veggie beef burgers with summer salad on the side.
Tuesday - shrimp and broccoli 'pasta' using spaghetti squash.
Wednesday - veggie burger quesadilla with carrot slaw. (We will makeover the leftover burgers from Monday!)
Thursday - chicken 'pizza' with bell pepper relish.
Friday - it's the 4th of July so I'm keeping my options open for now. Bring on the backyard BBQs!!

What are some of your favorite dishes to take to a BBQ?

No comments:

Post a Comment